PENNY SLINGER: OUT OF THE SHADOWS - LE
THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY, AND THAT THE ITEM WILL BE DISPATCHED JUST BEFORE THE LISTED RELEASE DATE.
SHOULD YOU ORDER ANY OF THE ALREADY RELEASED ITEMS FROM OUR CATALOGUE AT THE SAME TIME AS THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM, PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PURCHASES WILL ALL BE SHIPPED TOGETHER WHEN THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM BECOMES AVAILABLE.
(Richard Kovitch, 2017)
Release date: 28 September 2020
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray Premiere)
The incredible, untold story of the British artist Penny Slinger and the traumatic events that led to the creation of her masterpiece, the 1977 photo-romance, An Exorcism.
Coming of age against a backdrop of post-war austerity and the subsequent explosion of colour that characterised the 1960s counterculture, Slinger embraced her generation’s quest for personal freedom and sexual liberation, and channelled these desires into her ground-breaking collages, sculptures, and films (including collaborations with Jane Arden and Peter Whitehead). So powerful was her vision that fifty years later her work is still influencing contemporary artists.
LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition presentation
- Original stereo soundtrack
- Audio commentary with director Richard Kovitch (2020)
- Conversations in the Desert: Q&A with Penny Slinger (2019, 50 mins): the artist in conversation with writer and critic Chris Campion, recorded in Joshua Tree, California
- Return to Lilford Hall (2020, 5 mins): short film by Kovitch, detailing Slinger’s return to the inspiration for An Exorcism following a fifty-year absence
- Lizzi Bougatsos + Kim Gordon x Penny Slinger (2019, 32 mins): live improvised musical performance against a backdrop of Slinger’s early experimental 16mm films, recorded at Blum & Poe, Los Angeles
- An Exorcism: The Final Cut (1977/2020, 21 mins): video presentation of Slinger’s much sought after collection, presented in sequential order for the first time
- Theatrical trailer
- Live from Miskatonic trailer: promo for Slinger’s 2019 appearance at the Miskatonic Institute, Los Angeles
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive booklet containing new writing on the film by Chris Campion, an interview with Penny Slinger by Richard Kovitch, analyses of Slinger’s works by Alissa Clarke and Patricia Allmer, and film credits
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies
BBFC cert: 18